Tutorial on how to upload an image to a WordPress page. I’ll also show you how to add, edit, and delete any media file in your WordPress media library.
Table of Contents
Inserting a new file into the media library
Managing files in your media library is not difficult. If you want to add a new file to your media library in WordPress, just click the “Add New” button at the top of your media library. You can also click on the “Add new” option on the left side of the screen where the administration menu features are located.
How to upload an image to WordPress
If you choose a media library line list before uploading a new file, a new window will open when you click “Add new”. Simply drag and drop files from your computer into the window. You can also press the “Select Files” button and then upload the selected files to the library.
In the list of added files, the “Edit” option appears in the corresponding line. Items like headline, alternate text, and file description can be edited here. You’ll also find a button for some image edits such as cropping, rotating, and resizing.
If you choose to display a media library grid before uploading a new file, clicking “Add New” will open a window where you will upload files. The uploaded files will appear in the Media Library item list.
Editing file properties
In the grid view of files, click the specific file. A window for editing the media file properties opens. Make the necessary changes and close the window. Changes are saved automatically.
If you edit several images, you do not have to go back to the list in the media library every time. To move to the next or previous file, just click the appropriate arrow in the upper right corner of the window.
Click “Edit” in the appropriate line to edit file properties in the line view of media files. You will see the file information as its name, URL address, file type and file size, or image size. You can now edit the title, name, description, and alternative text for images.
- Name — you can edit the name of the media file in the window at the top of the screen.
- Title — appears in your post or page below the image.
- Alternative text — this field can be found only by images. Alternate text will appear if the browser is unable to load the image. Therefore, use its apt name or description. An appropriately selected alternative text will also help to SEO optimizing of your site. The search engines are not able to view images. So, to find out what is the image content, they use alternative text.
- Description — the description appears on the page with file attachments.
In addition to these fields, two others will appear for audio files:
- Artist — you can write an artist name here.
- Album — serves to specify on which album the audio file is located.
Make sure to click the “Update” button after making your changes.
Deleting a file from the media library
The exact procedure for deleting a file depends on the view you are using. In the grid view, click the file you want to delete. Click the “Delete forever” option in the lower right corner of the window that opens.
If you’re using a line view of a list of files in your media library, the procedure is slightly different. Move the cursor to the name of the file you want to delete. Select “Delete forever” from the options that appear. A window opens where you can confirm your choice. To do so, click OK.