Want to know what WooCommerce is? Download it? Where to find instructions and how to work with it? In this article you will find everything you need to know.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a free WordPress plugin that adds e-shop functionality to the website. It is powered by 28% of online stores in the world.
The plugin is freely downloadable from the WordPress repository . It offers a comprehensive solution for creating a functional online store. It is compatible with many WordPress šablóna me and most of their extensions. It is one of the most frequently used e-commerce platforms. More than 4 million e-shops have already been created using the Woo plugin.
What WooCommerce has to offer
If you want to create an e-shop in WordPress , you have a choice of several solutions. One of them is to create an e-shop using this plugin. Let’s take a look at what such an e-shop has to offer.
Woo is a suitable solution for an online store of any focus and size. With this plugin, you can create a tailor-made e-shop, whether you sell fashionable clothes, toys, books, medicines and medical devices, services, electronics or digital products.
By installing it on your site, you get a rich selection of features to create a fully functional online store. It offers a solution to all the necessary details.
In the image below you can see the official Woo logo:
You can download the current version of the files in Slovak on this link .
- Even a beginner can install and set up individual functions of the site. You do not need to have any knowledge of programming. Extensive, detailed documentation is available for the plugin.
- For easier and faster search of goods, it allows you to add several categories, colors, sizes and the like to each product.
- Displays product ratings directly on the individual product page.
- Allows you to set several types of product order : from newest, cheapest, most expensive, by popularity, or by rating.
- It supports external payment gateways – specifically more than 140 specific payment gateways. You can accept credit card payments, via PayPal, Amazon Payments, Stripe or bank transfers. Payment can also be set upon delivery of the goods.
- Of course, you can also adjust the currency settings .
- Allows you to add many features to a page. For example: booking of goods, Google maps, online chat, links to social networks and cost calculations based on the customer’s geolocation.
- Available plugins for accounting and invoicing.
- You do not have to worry about data loss when changing web hosting providers. With the Woo plugin, you have all the data under control.
- Supports mobile devices.
- If you do not know how to deal with something, there is a wide community focused on the eCommerce system Woo, even in Slovak and Czech. It brings together users, developers and programmers.
Woo plugin extensibility
The e-shop created through this plugin gives you 100% control over the online store. You have access to your data anytime, anywhere. You can adjust the appearance and functionality of the e-shop at any time.
The plugin offers many options for expanding the site, regardless of the size of the online store. You can do this using other WordPress šablón and plugins. If you are familiar with programming, you can modify and expand the plugin’s capabilities even programmatically by editing the code.
The most useful Woo plugins
Of the many plugins available, here are some of the ones I find most useful:
Extra Product Options – if you need to add various additional fields to the product such as checkboxes, selections, text fields and more.
WOOF – Products Filter – if you need to allow visitors advanced product filtering, for example based on color, price, image and the like. It also exists in a limited free version , which is sufficient for easier e-shops.
Woo Print Invoices & Packing lists will generate an invoice and delivery note in PDF format for the order. The appearance of the invoice can be set according to the needs of the company. Also invoice numbering. A similar plugin also exists in the free version , but it has limited options, so I recommend it only for simpler e-shops.
Woo Currency Switcher is required to run an international online store. Allows you to switch between countries and currencies. Limited edition available here .
Image Watermark automatically adds a watermark to product photos. The plugin is a great solution for anyone who wants to protect the copyright of product photos or the products themselves.
Mailchimp for Woo – for connecting Mailchimp to the eshop.
Woo Checkout field editor – if you need to add / change fields in the checkout form. Limited edition available here .
What is needed to create an e-shop
In addition to the plugin itself, you need:
Web hosting and domain
Hosting is space on the server. You need this space to store the files of your site that are important for its functionality. In addition, you need a domain – page name. The domain points to the place on the server where your data is stored.
When choosing hosting , keep in mind whether it is optimized for WordPress. It should also provide sufficient loading speed for your site, be secure and offer 24-hour customer support, and be available without frequent server downtime. Also compare the prices of hosting providers.
To help with the selection, I advise you that quality hosting for WordPress is offered by WebSupport , Webglobe Yegon , Bluehost and WP Engine .
WordPress šablón for eshop
Once you have the hosting and domain selected, you also need a suitable šablón that is compatible with the Woo plugin. For inspiration, you can see this list of the top 30 šablón for e-shops .
From premium eshop šablón I have a good experience with Flatsome and from free with the official Storefront theme directly from the WooCommerce team.
Official Woo Website
- Official site: woocommerce.com
- Documentation: doc.woocommerce.com
- Shop with official extensions: woocommerce.com/product-category/woocommerce-extensions/
- Download plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce/
Where to start (tutorials)
I have prepared a complete WooCommerce guide for beginners.