A simple step-by-step guide on how to create a website easily, quickly and with quality. Also suitable for beginners without technical knowledge.
Today, no company can do without its own website. It is just as important as the address or telephone contact. In the following article, you will learn why. And you will also learn how to create a website.
Why a website is needed
For anyone who is serious about their business, a website is an integral part of building a business . This fact confirms the behavior of customers. More than half of them view the seller’s website before purchasing products or services. It’s not just e-shops. People go to the internet for other information as well. A good website presentation is therefore an important basis for market success.
The website is needed mainly for the following reasons:
- It is available at any time. Even when you and your employees are sleeping. Using the contact form, your customers can contact you even at night.
- Informs about your products and saves time. For many customers, this information is enough to purchase the product. The website also saves time.
- It is important for credibility. People want to verify their credibility before contacting them. If they don’t find anything about you on the Internet, your credibility is declining.
- It presents your business. The website presents your business. Without it, some internet visitors would not know anything about what you do. In addition, a suitable form of site visibility can increase its traffic, which in turn will lead to higher profits.
- Find out who your customers are. Site traffic analysis will help you understand who your target audience is. Her behavior can also be analyzed. This will allow you to make better use of the various online advertising tools.
- You will gain an edge over the competition. The website will give you a significant competitive advantage over companies that do not have it. Potential customers will always be in front of you.
- It helps build a brand. Business visibility helps build a brand. In addition to information, you will be able to offer your customers online support, opportunities to read reviews of your work, and so on.
Free website? Rather not
Using the free service always sounds tempting. There are several services available to create a website where you can get free hosting and a domain. However, if you are serious about your business, you should avoid them. Creating a website for free is a suitable solution only for personal websites. Even in this case, however, I recommend considering whether it is not better to pay for hosting and domain.
Disadvantages of free hosting:
- It is not possible to create a domain name without including the hosting provider name. This will make your domain look like:
- Fewer page editing options. More options are usually available in paid service packages.
- Most of these providers only offer unprofessional looking and watchful design . This will make your site look like a lot of others.
- The big downside is the placement of ads on other sites . In addition to the fact that it does not look professional, you will draw attention to the services of competitors.
- You may also encounter the need to have a link to the hosting provider’s services at the top of the page .
- Less reliability and higher risk of server downtime .
A domain is a website address. It is an important identifier for her. Appears on the browser command line. A domain is what sets you apart from other sites. It should be included with the name of your business or business area. This makes it easier for people to remember.
The domain should have other properties:
- It should be short and concise. From the domain, people should know what you are doing. Really at a glance. They don’t remember the long name.
- It must be unique . If it hits the domain of another site, people will easily confuse you with it.
- It should be simple. It is also important to choose simple, easy-to-remember words.
- You should not use hyphens or numbers. Dashes and numbers are difficult to dictate. People also find it harder to remember exactly where they should be located.
I recommend you come up with multiple domains. Then you select the most suitable one and verify that someone does not already have it registered. If not, you can register it. You can find out more about choosing a domain in my article[63 tipov] How to choose the best domain name for a website .
Why you need hosting
Hosting is a space on a server where all the data of your website is stored. These servers are constantly connected to the Internet. Your site is accessible at any time.
Hosting is provided by many providers. Individual services differ in packages and range of services, price as well as quality and availability. There are also differences in page load speed and customer support quality. Before purchasing hosting, make sure it supports the content management system you want to use.
For more information on choosing hosting, see How to Choose the Best WordPress Hosting .
Choosing the right platform
MioWeb – a very simple online tool for creating blogs and websites. For its simplicity and its other advantages, I recommend it especially to non-technical people who are thinking about how to create a website. If so, you will find complete instructions in this review of MioWeb .
WordPress.org – is open source. This means you can use it for your own website for free. It brings many benefits , for which I will use it in this guide how to create a website. But to create a website, you need your own domain and web hosting .
What do you need to create a website?
To get started, you need to choose 2 things:
- Domain name (this will be the name for your website, for example in my case it is wp.sk).
- Web hosting (this will be the service where your website will be located).
The great news is that you only need less than 30 minutes to set up your website.
Domain and web hosting settings
There are many quality hosting companies in Slovakia and abroad, where you can buy web hosting and a domain. I do not recommend free hosting because they have many disadvantages and limitations compared to paid ones, which you would most likely pay later.
The price of hosting is much lower today than in the past, You can have quality web hosting for the price of 5-10 euros per month. The price of the .sk domain will cost you around 10 euros a year. I recommend that you buy a domain and web hosting from the same provider, this will save you the time and worries you would have with connecting the domain to web hosting.
Personally, I consider the best hosting in Slovakia to be the one from the company Websupport , which I chose for all my websites. The reasons why I chose this hosting can be found if you are interested in an article on WordPress speed . Therefore, I will also use Websupport hosting for this guide.
So let’s do this, open the Websupport page in a new window , enter the desired domain in the domain verification box and click the “Verify” button:
If the domain is free, click the “Add” button (picture below). Otherwise, try to find another suitable domain that will be free.
Click continue. Here, select “I’m looking for a ready-made WordPress solution”:
Scroll to the bottom of the page where “WordPress The Hosting” is – a solution specially optimized for WordPress sites. There, you should initially choose the “Basic” option (15GB / 1 domain). You can switch to higher hosting at any time later if needed.
Click “Add” to confirm your selection, then click “Continue to Cart” to continue . This will take you to the contents of the cart:
In the cart, select the domain to be purchased as the main domain for WordPress hosting and click the “Save” button:
If you want to get 2 months free in addition to any hosting ordered for 1 year , you can use the coupon code LBOJ8E2JZW , which can be entered after checking the “I want to use the coupon” option and confirming with the “Apply” button:
You confirm the purchase with the “Order” button. There you enter the required data and enter ” Send order “.
Automatic WordPress installation
Are you waiting for an installation in this step? So I will please you, in Websupport WordPress hosting is automatically installed after you order. You should find the email in your email address that you entered during registration.
This email clearly explains that it may take some time for the website to be linked to the domain you purchased. Until then, you have your website available at a temporary address.
And really, when I opened this address in my browser, I found my WordPress website already installed on it:
Don’t worry, you can change the basic look of your website.
Login to the administration
Congratulations, in the previous step you managed to successfully install your website. You can get to the administration of your website by another link, mentioned in the emails above.
In my case it is http://d.websupport.sk/wordpressblog.sk/wp-admin/, or, if the domain has already been connected, the link http://wordpressblog.sk/wp-admin will also work for me /. Here I will find the option to log in to the site administration :
After entering the login details (also received in emails) you will get to the administration:
We are now ready to customize the look of your website.
Select the appropriate šablóny
As I mentioned above, the visual appearance of your site is controlled by themes ( šablóna me). The basic topic chosen by WebSupport will not be the most suitable for some people.
There are thousands of free ready-made šablón that can be installed. In case you haven’t liked either, there are also as many paid topics.
You can change your theme by clicking on “Appearance” –> “Topics.” Here are the topics that are already pre-installed in WordPress:
You can add a new topic by clicking on “Add new”:
On the next screen you will be able to search from over 4400 free topics available on the official WordPress.org site. You can sort them by popularity, popularity, date added, or filter them (by layout, features, etc.):
Once you have found a topic you like, simply hover over it and the “Install” button will appear . Click on it and wait for the theme to install. Then the “Install” button is replaced by the “Activate” button. You must click on it to activate this topic.
Tip: check out this list of the best WordPress šablóny .
After installing the theme, you can further customize its appearance by clicking on “Appearance” –> “Customize” . So we’ve successfully chosen our topic and now we’re finally ready to create our first blog post.
Creating the first article
To write the first post on your site, click on “Articles” –> “Add new” . Here’s how to get to the editor of a new article, where you can create one:
After entering the title of the article and its content, continue and click the “Publish” button . This will publish the article on your website. Congratulations, you have successfully published your first article.
You can create individual pages in a similar way, such as the homepage, the page about us, the contact, etc.
Further customization – plugins, categories and tags
In the articles section, you may notice other items such as categories and tags . You can use these to organize your posts:
You may want to add more than just text to your website. Let’s say you want to use the contact form, spreadsheets, image galleries, buttons and so on.
Plugins are used for this purpose in WordPress. You can think of them as applications (modules) that allow you to add new features to a website. You can find and install these plugins in the “Plugins” section -> “Add new”:
This is a similar way to what we showed when choosing a topic. Plugins can also be turned on / off at will in the “Installed Plugins” section.
How to create a website – conclusion
I believe that this guide for creating your own website was useful for you. Your page is already created and you can post on it. I will be happy if you continue to share this guide. In the comments below, you can also boast about how you did with creating the site.